School Choice Fair Set for December 2, Online Application Also Opens
ROCK HILL — Options abound for students in Rock Hill and parents have an opportunity to learn more about the seven programs offered in 13 schools at upcoming information fairs and school-level tours.
The first of two scheduled information fairs to highlight choice options in Rock Hill Schools will be held Monday, December 2 from 6-8 p.m. at the Kenneth Monroe Transformation Center located at 785 Saluda Street. A second opportunity will be Saturday, January 25, 2020 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at South Pointe High School located at 801 Neely Road.
All district schools will participate in the January 25th event, which will feature programs and opportunities available at each of the district’s 27 schools. In addition to the information fair and expo, families interested in learning more and observing a specific program are encouraged to participate in a school tour. Dates and times for upcoming school tours can be found on the choice programs website, www.rock-hill.k12.sc.us/choice.
The district currently has seven Choice programs that are tied to a distinctive course of study. Each program seeks to develop engaging and meaningful opportunities for students at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. Choice programs include:
- Accelerated Studies offered at Sunset Park Center for Accelerated Studies
- Arts offered at Northside Elementary School of the Arts
- International Baccalaureate at Rosewood Elementary, Sullivan Middle, Northwestern High, Rock Hill High, and South Pointe High
- Inquiry offered at Ebenezer Avenue Elementary
- Language Immersion offered at Cherry Park Elementary School of Language Immersion
- Montessori offered at Ebenezer Avenue Elementary
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) offered at Oakdale Elementary, Saluda Trail Middle, and South Pointe High
Traditionally, children are assigned to a public school according to where they live. Rock Hill Schools recognizes that each student is unique, and our choice programs offer families options to best meet the needs of each child and to nurture students’ talents, interests and aptitudes. Like traditional school settings, choice programs foster parental involvement and high expectations, and give parents the opportunity to choose the school that will meet their child’s needs. This is not achieved at the expense of traditional schools. Rather, all of our schools offer outstanding instruction, high-quality teachers, and great facilities.
Families interested in having their child attend a choice program are required to complete an online application at http://bit.ly/iChooseRHSD. The application will be open December 2 through February 28 and notification of acceptance will be made in early March.